I was born and raised in Greater Vancouver. As a result of this, I am lucky enough to have accumulated a fantastic group of friends. I realise that not everyone in Vancouver has this privilege. It can be tricky to start from scratch.
I spent most of last year away from the city I love (due to work and travel opportunities) and was forced to confront feeling alone. 3 months in England, 1 month in Northern BC and 3 months in Mexico gave me 3 unique ways to experience feeling disconnected. As incredible as my travels were, it brought up a lot of complex feelings, the most significant being an intolerance for how much loneliness sucks. I am (mostly) settled back home in Vancouver now, with a whole new perspective.
Vancouver Fun Time Friends is my way to channel my compassion and empathy for those who feel socially isolated everyday into a possible solution for anyone willing to give this a try.
If it puts anybody at ease, I will readily admit that this endeavour makes even me a little nervous. Taking a risk is always nerve wracking, but most often worth the risk. Take heart that if you check out a Vancouver Fun Time Friends event, at least we can work through the initial apprehension together!
No comments:
Post a Comment